How to Prep Your Temporary Kitchen
When your kitchen is being renovated, it is disruptive to your home and your family. The better you can prepare for the time where you don’t have a full kitchen, the better your overall experience will be. I often say that you can think of it like camping in your home.
Choose your space: Away from construction area.
- Ideally near a sink (or get a dish pan)
- Table area
- Close to a fridge if possible (mini fridge works too)
Choose your tools: keep them in a clear plastic bin so things are easy to find
- Essential utensils
- Basic dinnerware
- Cutting Board
- Can Opener
- Mixing Bowl
Appliances – it’s time to embrace your countertop appliances;
- Instant pot
- Slow cooker
- Panini press
- Air fryer
- Toaster oven
- Hot plate / induction burner
- Fill your freezer with your favourites to keep cooking to a minimum. Soups, stews, lasagna, casseroles – there are so many options.
- Buy prepared foods like pre-washed produce and salad kits
- Plan to BBQ
- Try subscribing to a box meal delivery service
And, when it all feels overwhelming, it’s okay to get takeout too. Planning ahead will ensure that this is not your only option.